Certified Nutrition Support Clinicians (CNSCs):
- Provide nutritional intake recommendations to patients who cannot eat a normal diet, for example, those in critical care who require intravenous feeding.
- These clinicians are certified through a national exam and maintain their CNSC status by passing the national certification exam every five years.
Certified Diabetes Care and Education Specialists (CDCES)
- These clinicians are licensed or certified health professionals such as Registered Dietitian Nutritionists (RDNs), nurses or physicians who have a minimum of two years and 1,000 hours of diabetes patient education, work in a primary role as a diabetes educator and have passed the national certifying exam.
- Maintenance of the CDE credential requires passing the national certification exam every five years or acquiring a specified number of Continuing Education hours.
Certified Renal Specialist (CRS):
- These clinicians are advanced practice specialists in Renal Nutrition care. They provide expertise to patients with kidney disease, including those requiring dialysis and transplant recipients.
- They have successfully met practice hour requirements, passed a national certification exam, and must re-take the certification exam every five years.
Certified Specialist in Obesity and Weight Management (CSOWM):
- These clinicians are advanced practice specialists in weight management. They provide expertise to patients who want to lose weight and those who have bariatric surgery.
- They have successfully met practice hour requirements, passed a national certification exam, and re-take certification exam every 5 years.
Inpatient Registered Dietitian Nutritionists (RDNs):
- Monitor admitted patients’ nutritional status to help with recovery from illness.
- Dietitians assess patients’ nutritional status, instruct and counsel patients who are on special diets, and monitor how patients are eating.
Outpatient Dietitian Nutritionists (RDNs):
- Provide nutrition assessment and diet education to patients who are not hospitalized.