Food and Nutrition Services team utilizes their combined experiences in fine dining, catering and health care to offer healthy, innovative food for patients, families and staff.
We take pride in serving fresh-made and nutritious food including a variety of salads, hot meals, homemade broths, smoothies, and handcrafted popsicles using locally sourced ingredients whenever possible.
- Our culinary team includes a Registered Dietitian Nutritionist, who is a food and nutrition expert certified by The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics.
- All hospital Food Service personnel must complete training on food preparation methods, safety and sanitation, and hospital food services such as special diets for patients.
- The food service managers and Registered Dietitian Nutritionists are ServSafe Certified, which requires mandatory classroom training and a national exam certification every 3 years.
Inpatient Registered Dietitian Nutritionists:
- Monitor admitted patients’ nutritional status to help with recovery from illness.
- Assess patients’ nutritional status, instruct and counsel patients on special diets, and monitor how patients are eating.
- Offer nutrition counseling, diabetes education, and expert nutrition clinical care.
Queen’s North Hawai‘i Community Hospital sources its food ingredients from approved, reputable suppliers whose quality of products are insured through frequent inspections.
Our employees are trained in food safety practices and standards to ensure food is kept safe through the flow of food from the time it is received to the preparation on your plate.